Thursday, February 3, 2011

Learning From My Mistakes

I just realized it has been a month since my last post.  Seems like January flew by without much opportunity for me to paint.  Work was really busy, and then my wife and youngest daughter caught the flu.  Looks like the next couple of week will not slow down much, so I am not sure when my next post will be.

I really debated as to whether or not to post this painting.  Composition is everyting apparently. I probably abandon as many paintings as I finish.  If a painting goes bad on me, so to speak, I generally have no problem walking away for it, as opposing to forcing it in the direction I want it to go (probably because I do not yet have many of the painting skills to force it).  This one, however, kind of snuck up on me.  I was actually really happy with it until I added the light tan/cream base.  The pears and boards are actually sitting on a tv table.  I thought (incorrectly it turns out) that the really light base would bring out so to speak the pears.  Instead, it seems to really throw the picture off. 

Also, I made the mistake of making the pears either much too small for the picture or not adding enough additional items in the still life to fill the canvas.  The result is that they seem to be drowing on the canvas. Oh well.

With that being said.  I am actually really happy with how the pears themselves turned out.  I really like eating this type of pears because of the soft texture and sweet taste.  And I feel I really captured that texture in the painting, as well as the little bumps and nuances of the pears (although my wife told me they look like potatoes, ha).  Hopefully I will have another painting to post before too long.  Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment