Sunday, December 12, 2010

"Pumpkin on a Book"

6x8 oil on canvas board

This is a painting I finished around Halloween.  My wife and I took the kids to pick out some pumpkins to decorate.  My youngest son picked this pumpkin out.  The stem caught my eye. He was less than thrilled that I wanted to paint it.  But after some negotiation (and a bribe that involved candy), he agreed to let me borrow it.

After drawing in the pumpkin and the book, I began by painting the pumkin itself.  I started on the bottom at the darkest point and  moved up toward the lighter areas.  Then I painted the stem and the background.  The stem was difficult, and I am still not happy with it; a little too dark.  I finished by painting the book, where I tried really hard to capture the texture on the face.  It actually has little raised fluer-de-lis all over the cover.  I hope you enjoy the painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment