Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My First Sunflower Painting



This is another painting I completed around Halloween.  I bought my wife a bouquet of flowers and this sunflower  was poking out of the side, just standing out.  I have to admit, I had my doubts as to whether I could actually paint it.  And although I am happy with the way the stem and green section turned out, I am a little disappointed about the petals.  I think I was a little too timid with my darks, so the flower looks a little flat.  
I started by drawing the flower with raw umber.  Then I painted the stem and worked on the green areas, starting with the darkest sections on the right and working my way around to the lighter areas to the left. From there I began painting the petals, working my way in a counter-clockwise circle around the flower.  I finished by painting the seed area of the flower and adding the background.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment